The Churches of St Wilfrid's & St Mary's
in the Parishes of Monk Fryston & South Milford
Monk Fryston is situated on the A63 trunk road, approx. 13 miles east of Leeds. The market town of Selby is 8 miles away and the city of York is 20 miles distant. The A1, M1 link and M62 motorways are a 5 -10 minute drive away.
Although we are in North Yorkshire our Royal Mail postcode is LS25 which is a Leeds (West Yorkshire) postcode.
The village was until recent years a mainly farming community. Although it still retains links with the land through families who have lived here for generations it has welcomed newcomers and has now become a popular commuter village.
Dominating the area is the Church, standing on rising ground on the main road through the village, and across from the church, Monk Fryston Hall, a fine hotel set in wooded parkland, the entrance to which is from the village square. Also situated in the square is a good example of a thatched cottage.
There is now just the one hostelery in the village, "The Crown" situated next to the church. Accommodation in the village is limited to Monk Fryston Hall, but a number of hotels and guest houses are located in the vicinity.
The village of Hillam is adjoining Monk Fryston and Burton Salmon village is approx one and a half miles from Hillam. See map below.
South Milford is an expanding village located in the district of Selby, North Yorkshire. Its position on the edge of the Vale of York places it within easy travelling distance of York (18 miles), Leeds (13 miles), Selby (8 miles). London being some 187 miles distant. The village has Saxon foundations. Its name is derived from the "mill" which was on a site behind the Swan Hotel and the "ford", the remnants of which can still be seen next to the bridge opposite the "White Swan" public house.
Lumby is a small hamlet a mile or so distant. Predominently a farming community until the 1970s, new development and conversion of farm properties now makes it a sought after location away from the rigours of modern life.
Like Monk Fryston it shares the LS25 Royal Mail postcode. A West Yorkshire postcode for a North Yorkshire village.
In 1379 the village was occupied by only 39 inhabitants. In the year 1822 ' Baines Directory' shows the population as 631, whereas today the figure is 4000+. Further development to the East of Low street is now taking place
As an agricultural village it has always had close connections with the land. New housing development over the years and its close proximity to the motorway network has meant that it has now become a commuting satellite for the nearby towns and cities. This said, the village still retains its links with the local farming community.
In the early 19th century employment was mainly associated with the land, but by the mid to late part of the century the railway companies and coal mining were employing a greater number of the local workforce.